Saturday, April 12, 2014

How to make a doll (or stuffed animal) ring sling

I caught my 4 (almost 5 year old) son trying to strap stuffed animals to himself using a belt. I asked him what he was doing and he informed me he was carrying them like I carry his brother. I figured I could probably make him a cheap ring sling and asked if he would want one. He very enthusiastically agreed, and said he wanted to pick out the color. We headed to walmart and he picked out an orange fat quarter. Over in the hardware section was a set of rings for about 1.25. **DO NOT USE THESE RINGS TO CARRY A REAL BABY> JUST TOYS** So this whole thing cost around $2.50

So gather your supplies: length of fabric and some rings. (I used a fat quarter)
Since I used a fat quarter I needed to make it long and skinny. So I cut it in half and then sewed the ends together so it was a long rectangle instead of a square. A fat quarter is 18" by 22".
I didnt measure after I cut and sewed back together but my rectangle was around 36" by 11"
Then I hemmed the edges. So I folded the edges in 2 times and sewed them. I didnt bother pinning, I just used the iron. But feel free to use pins if you want.
Then decide on your shoulder style..I wanted to practice the "eesti shoulder" for a rings sling I plan to make for myself, so I went with that. Pin in place (or just wing it) and sew.

Then thread through your rings and sew.
And you're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment